I did not expect to earn the income I did this month, it’s been quite a pleasant surprise. I have not published any commercial content this month so all of my earnings have been from previous work.
Preparing For A Bad Month
Knowing that most of my time during June would be dedicated to working on my currently undisclosed iOS/Android app, I created a HTML5 mobile game called “Hex Wars” at the end of May with the hopes that it would generate enough income to get me through the month.
Hex Wars started as a 24 hour project, with the goal being to finish developing it completely within that time. In the end, it actually took about 30 hours to complete.
I started licensing the game, and felt confident enough to charge higher licensing fees than I normally do. The publishers I approached tended to agree that the game was worth the extra cost, and Hex Wars actually did quite well for itself. It has fueled a lot of this month’s income.
A New Product
This month also took an unexpected turn when I recognized a new product worth commercializing.
Two of my recent HTML5 mobile games were initially rejected by a certain publisher because they did not display consistently across many devices. They did not center on the page on some devices, they did not handle orientation changes perfectly on some devices, and they did not scale up on tablet devices. GameMaker Studio, the development program I use for my work, does not natively provide support for these requirements in combination with other mobile limitations, so I had to outsource a specialized engine to handle them.
When the “mobility engine” was done, I paid for it and acquired the full rights to it. It occurred to me that other developers could benefit greatly from the engine, as it dramatically improves the value of GameMaker HTML5 mobile games.
I decided to keep the engine availability very limited rather than distributing it for free. It wasn’t exactly cheap, after all. There are only a few people making money with GameMaker HTML5 currently, and due to the value that the mobility engine adds I decided to license it for $60 per person. If I can earn the outsourcing fee back I’ll be satisfied, but it may even go on to earn a profit. Even if it doesn’t sell a single license, it has already improved my HTML5 earnings substantially.
The mobility engine is not currently available but I have approached a few people that I considered to be trustworthy and offered them early access. I’ve also made use of the engine a requirement for those who wish to form a partnership with me, where I sell their games for them in exchange for a share of the profits. I have been working to set up several partnerships lately, but I’ll probably talk about that next month.
This mobility engine does not make up any of this month’s revenue.
Show Me Stats!
OK! Here are my earnings for June:
$2137 (+$1137) – HTML5 mobile sponsorships
$10 – Donations
$120 – Misc.
The total for June was $2267, making it my best month so far. I certainly did not expect that.
During July, I’ll be continuing work on my iOS/Android app. It’s coming along a lot slower than I expected, but hopefully it won’t take more than a month to finish now.
I also have to make an expensive purchase: a Mac computer. The one I’m buying will set me back around $1300, so I’m going to create two HTML5 mobile games this month to cover those costs. I’ll be trying something different with them, though.
Finally, I’m excited to start work on my eBook about HTML5 game development! Depending on how I balance my workload, it should take 1-2 months to write. I’ve already locked in some valuable marketing opportunities, and I can’t wait to see how it performs commercially. I feel like there’s a lot of pressure to deliver high quality content with this product – it will be my debut into the world of published writing after all!